Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sound the Alarm

Houston, we may have a problem.

Tonight, I opened up one of my more "casual" bottles of wine and it was not good.  Not good at all.
Now, there are a few reasons why this could be:
1.  The wine itself was just not that great.
2.  This particular wine is meant to be drunk young and doesn't age well.
3.  My palate is still off due to being sick.

Or, my worst fear:
4.  The wine, which has been improperly stored for the past few months, has gone off.

Don't judge.  I'm ashamed enough as is. I can try to blame various circumstances that have occurred over the past few months but let's be honest:  like some teenager about to be sent to juvie, I knew the rules and didn't follow them.

The cause of the bad wine is inconclusive but it does raise a major concern for the other bottles, the "better" ones that I'm waiting for the right time to open: have I destroyed my collection??? Have I done irrevocable damage to my vino?

I think we all can learn some valuable lessons from this experience:
1.  Drink your s***.  They are there to be consumed, especially if they are not wines that would benefit from aging.
2.  Store your s*** properly.  No excuses.

Has anyone else had a bad wine storage experience? Don't worry, this is a safe space, feel free to share...



        The whistle-blowing bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment