Monday, September 16, 2013

Friday Fours and a Pour - September 13

Oooh, Friday the 13th.  How'd that work out for everyone?

The Fours
1. Blue Hill at Stone Barns is one of those special restaurants at the top of my "to-try" list, but until the right occasion comes along, Stone Barns Agricultural Center isn't a bad way to spend a few hours.  You can wander the grounds and their gardens, coo at the cute farm animals and grab a bite in their cafe. There's also a well-stocked gift shop that, for a few minutes, inspired me to try to learn to cook.


2. These Proenza Schouler Shoes.  This oil-slick patent is so cool and unique I truly believe they will go with everything in my wardrobe and I can almost justify their price tag.  But then I remember I need to pay rent.







3. The neighborhood of Red Hook was hit fairly hard after Hurricane Sandy but after a recent excurison out there, it's thrilling to see it revitalized and thriving.  From the cool foodie-lab-concept space RES, to the bakery nirvana Baked, to the newly opened Hometown BBQ as well as the year-old Brooklyn Crab, not to mention the adorable boutiques along Van Brunt, this community is definitely worth a visit.  And I'm not talking about IKEA.




4.  Speaking of Red Hook, I'm enamored with the Michael Kukla Hex and Grid Exhibit at Kentler Gallery.  His works on paper, especially the intricate, web-like cutout pieces, were geometrically stunning.  www.mkukla.com

The Pour
A short while ago, my friend sent me a picture of Anthos, Matteo Correggia, 2011 a dry Brachetto, something I had never seen before.  To satiate my curiosity, she brought me a bottle, which we immediately cracked open. Blueberry, raspberry and strawberry appeared immediately, but was quickly followed by freesia and violet notes.  The flower notes continued to evolve and the wine blossomed into a floral bouquet, but still dry on the finish. It was medium-minus body with a decent amount of acidity.  Definitely one of the more unique wines I've drank recently.





No comments:

Post a Comment