Sunday, June 2, 2013

All Rose, All The Time

Here's what I've been up to ever since Memorial Day:








I've hit rose-season full-throttle, exclusively drinking the pink stuff.  I'm not interested in the lighter Provence-style roses (yet); right now I'm favoring the more full-bodied, juicy and ripe pours. 

A particular rose of note is Domaine du Gour de Chaule Gigondas Rose 2012  (approx. $30 retail).  I had this recently at Barbuto and am OBSESSED.  Gigondas is located in the Rhone region in France and is considered the kid sister to Chateauneuf du Pape.  It produces wine very similar to CdF  but since Gigondas doesn't have the marketing machine behind it, you can often find great values without the markups.



The medium-bodied wine had vibrant notes of strawberry and tart cherry but were balanced by the prominent zing of white pepper.  It was crisp yet savory, fruit-forward but not cloying and exactly what I wanted to be drinking that warm spring night.

Keep tasting, friends....





No comments:

Post a Comment